I love experimenting when it comes to smoothie making. Usually I toss in a bunch of ingredients I have on hand and no one smoothie is exactly the same. In the spirit of Cancer Prevention Month I decided to throw together a breakfast smoothie with powerful cancer fighting compounds. This one contains an uncommon ingredient: cauliflower! While all fruits and vegetables contain important anti-cancer fighting nutrients, cruciferous vegetables offer the most powerful anti-cancer punch. So powerful that you should aim to have at least one serving of cruciferous veggies daily, including kale, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, bok choy and cabbage. Check out these impressive stats from observational studies:
- Twenty-eight servings of vegetables per week decreased prostate cancer risk by 35%, but just 3 servings of cruciferous vegetables per week decreased prostate cancer risk by 46%.
- One or more servings of cabbage per week reduced risk of pancreatic cancer by 38%.
- One serving per day of cruciferous vegetables reduced the risk of breast cancer by over 50%.
*can provide references by request
The addition of cauliflower to this smoothie makes it incredibly thick and creamy (think Wendy's Frosty consistency). The other flavors in the smoothie completely mask the flavor of the cauliflower so you could really throw it into any smoothie recipe for some extra micronutrient benefits. Because it's so thick and creamy, it takes a little longer to blend. You may have to stop and scrap down the sides of the blender several times, but try to resist adding extra liquid. The extra scraping work is worth it!
Yields: 1 serving
What you need:
- 2 frozen bananas, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon nut butter (I used peanut butter in this one, but any nut butter will work)
What you do:
- Combine all ingredients in high-powered blender
- Turn on blender, gradually increasing speed.
- Stop as often as you need to scrape down the sides until well blended
- Pour into a large glass and enjoy!
I topped mine with gluten-free blueberry granola from Purely Elizabeth.
Interested in learning more about cancer prevention? Check out this post: