Sweet Oat of Mine..
Overnight oats seem to be all the rage on my Instagram feed these days. The recipe and photos below were the first time I dipped my toes in the overnight oats bowl. I used leftover coconut sweet potato mash and cooked plantains from dinner the prior night. Not your traditional oatmeal topping, but damn delicious.
Since I've been in Malaysia, overnight oats has become my staple breakfast food. What are they you ask? Basically just oats soaked overnight in whatever liquid you add. No need to cook the next day, just eat and go! Cashew and almond milk is harder to find here, so I've been using coconut milk (brand name: Kara!).
You can basically mix anything you want into overnight oats: nut butter, chia seed, or your favorite fruit. Get creative!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Ready in: 4 hours
What you need:
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk (I used unsweetened vanilla)
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Sweet potato coconut mash
- Cooked plantains (optional)
- Dang unsweetened toasted coconut chips
What you do:
- Whisk together all base ingredients in a medium sized bowl
- Transfer to a single-serving glass container, such as a small mason jar
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least four hours
- When you are ready to eat, top with your toppings of choice