My mom made dinner most nights when I was growing up and Wednesday was ALWAYS pasta night. I don't eat pasta that frequently anymore, but it still holds a special place in my heart. When I do make it, I attempt a healthier version that is still just as comforting. This particular recipe is super quick and easy- perfect for a busy weeknight. You can make it with any type of pasta you choose. I used a gluten free, vegan version (it's Kosher and GMO-free too!) from Al Dente Pasta Company made with brown rice flour and white beans, making it high in fiber (6g) and protein (7g). The beans give this dish an extra protein punch.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes 4 servings
What you'll need:
- 2 cups of uncooked pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 can (15 oz) of navy beans, rinses and drained
What you'll do:
- Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add bell pepper, asparagus, lemon peel, salt, pepper and lemon juice, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in the beans and cook until hot.
- Add pasta; toss with vegetable mixture.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker Vegetarian Cooking